last night, I watched the iHeart Living Room Concert, & it was amazing to watch so many artists & viewers come together through music to support the efforts of first responders. I hope you enjoy making these pop tarts with your family as it is a great way to spend time in these troubling times.
(makes 8 & takes 45 minutes + overnight chilling)
1 tbsp granulated sugar + more for sprinkling
1½ tsp kosher salt
3¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsalted butter
3 large eggs
½ cup your favorite jam
1. in a medium bowl, combine sugar, salt, & flour. add butter & pulse until pieces are pea-sized. whisk together 2 eggs & 4 tbsp ice water in a small bowl, then drizzle into the flour mixture & stir to combine.
2. knead dough, until dough comes together. wrap tightly in plastic & chill overnight.
3. preheat oven to 350°F. roll dough into a 16"x12" rectangle. cut dough into 16 4"x3" rectangles. in a small bowl, beat remaining egg & 1 tbsp water. brush edges of half the rectangles with egg wash. dollop 1 tbsp of jam in the center of each egg-washed rectangle.
4. top with remaining rectangles & press down edges. use a fork to seal. brush tops of tarts with egg wash & sprinkle with sugar. using a fork, make holes at the top of the pop tart.
5. place pop tarts on a parchment-lined baking sheet & bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. let cool & serve.