enjoy this zesty grapefruit & olive oil cake with dark chocolate, as the citrus will squeeze some energy into your exciting day ahead.
(serves 8 & takes 35 min prep + 50 min oven time)
unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
1½ tbsp fresh grapefruit zest
½ cup plain yogurt
3 large eggs
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ cups sugar
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1¼ tsp sea salt
4 oz dark chocolate, chopped
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1. preheat the oven to 350° F. using the butter, grease a loaf pan.
2. in a medium bowl, combine 1 tbsp grapefruit zest, the yogurt, eggs, olive oil, & ¼ cup of the grapefruit juice & mix together.
3. in a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients & mix until everything is blended. fold in the chocolate.
4. pour the batter into the prepared pan & place the pan in the oven. bake 50 minutes, until the cake is golden brown.
5. while the cake bakes, prepare the glaze. in a bowl, mix together the remaining ½ tbsp grapefruit zest, the remaining ¼ cup grapefruit juice, & the confectioners’ sugar.
6. let the cake cool & once it is cooled to room temperature, place the cake on a serving platte & drizzle it with half the glaze. reserve the rest of the glaze for serving along with the sliced cake.