11th day of COVID-19 breakfasts, & the spicy & crunchy toast (I used pumpernickel) will wake your spirits up this morning with its warm-hearting aroma.
(serves 4 & takes 20 minutes)
½ cup + 2 tbsp sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
4 thick slices of your favorite bread
2 tbsp + more unsalted butter
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. in a small saucepan, mix together ½ cup sugar, cinnamon sticks, & ½ cup of water. bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved, reduce heat to low & simmer for 5 minutes. remove from heat & let cool.
2. toast breads & spread butter on both sides of the toasts. generously brush the cinnamon syrup on one side of the toasts.
3. in a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp sugar & ground cinnamon & place on a plate, reserving 2 tsp in the bowl. dip each toast (syrup down) in the cinnamon sugar.
4. in a skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. reduce heat to low & place toast (sugar-side down) on the skillet for 4 minutes.
5. serve each slice sugar-side up & sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar & confectioners' sugar.