one of the best breakfast recipes that I have ever made for the ninth day of COVID-19 breakfasts. on the website, check out the podcast I just uploaded about how MNDAY BFAST is helping communities during the pandemic.
(serves 8 & takes 60 minutes)
4 tbsp unsalted butter, + more for dish
4 large apples, peeled, cored, sliced into ½" thick rings
1 tsp kosher salt + more
½ cup + 3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
3 large eggs
⅔ cup whole milk
¾ cup crème fraîche
½ cup all-purpose flour
1. preheat oven to 450°F. in a small saucepan over medium heat, cook 4 tbsp butter, stirring often, until brown & nutty, 4 minutes. remove from heat & mix with apples, a pinch of salt, & 2 tbsp sugar.
2. on a rimmed baking sheet, arrange apple mixture & roast in oven, tossing halfway through, 25 minutes. remove from heat & let cool a bit.
3. meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, lemon zest, & seeds from vanilla bean.
4. in a blender, blend eggs until very frothy. stream in milk. add sugar mixture, crème fraîche, flour, & 1 tsp salt. blend until smooth.
5. butter a baking dish & sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar. arrange apples in dish & pour custard over fruit. reduce oven temp to 375°F & bake 30-35 minutes. let cool a few minutes & serve.